What do you think is the essence of leadership?
“The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude; be kind, but not weak; be bold, but not a bully; be thoughtful, but not lazy; be humble, but not timid; be proud, but not arrogant; have humor, but without folly.” – Jim Rohn
For a long time, people have been admiring leaders around the world. Leaders avidly exhibit the ways to achieve goals which seem difficult. Some people have inborn leadership qualities. Though such people are great at leading others, they don’t need to become good leaders. There are a few traits that make a leader desirable and lovable. A person needs to work on a few traits to acquire good leadership qualities.
A leader possesses a few characteristics which make the leader more appealing to the team. Few characteristics that a leader should have are:
- Good Communicator
- Creative and Innovative Thinking
- Decision-Making Capabilities
- Positive Attitude
What are foundational strategies for learning to lead or lead better?
1. Leaders determine how to get people & organizations to improve.
2. Leaders are meant to be agents for organizational change.
3. Leaders are people who, if their authority was taken away, could still achieve results.
4. Leaders continually grow through study and introspection:
– Learn, unlearn, re-learn.
– Study how you feel about what you do and what would make you more effective.
5. Leaders focus on how best to use their time and energy, and the time and energy of others.
6. Leaders spend 50-75% of their day focusing on the top 3-4 items in their business.
7. Leaders not only do things right, they do the right things.
8. Leaders use future focus and strategic anticipation; they expect the best but plan for the worst.
9. Leaders achieve excellence by investing additional time and energy if it makes the product, service, or outcome noticeably better for their business.
– Dare to be different
– Make sure they are asking the right questions
– Search for all the right answers
– Learn to act on incomplete information
– Are willing to make more mistakes and try new things
11. Leaders recognize that decision-making is dangerous if you don’t have enough information.
12. Leaders create a sense of urgency. Ask, “What’s next?”
13. Leaders constantly ask themselves and others what has been done to add value to the organization.
14. Leaders realize that performance is achieved through coaching, training, and practice.
15. Leaders know that training is a necessity and that training is teaching people how to do what they are not already doing.
16. Leaders look for ways to make what they do each and everyday matter for their business.
17. Leaders lead with enthusiasm.
18. Leaders create leaders: You can make this your leadership improvement agenda. Rank order the 24 from what you do least well to what you do best. Then start with number one. Spend a week focused on improving in that strategic area. Then the following week, move on to the next
19. Deeply empathize with people, customers, and communities.
20.Inspire those around you.